Revitalize your mind and body with a sip of this delicious smoothie. Anyone can enjoy the many benefits of this yummy drink; you don’t have to be nursing to have it.
However, for the breastfeeding mama, this smoothie is packed full of everything you need to keep your levels up. Chock full of full of Vitamin C, B6 and potassium, bananas are a healthy and easy way to start your mornings off right. They are great at sustaining energy. But, forget plain ole’ oatmeal and bananas for breakfast! This is an easy way to nicely disguise some of the breastfeeding support foods into a delicious drink– you won’t even know you’re drinking them! This classic, nutritious smoothie has all of the nutritional benefits of milk, oatmeal and bananas.
Enjoy, and keep up the good work mamacita!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
– 1 medium banana
– 2 strawberries
– 2 – 3 tbsp peanut butter (I use the all natural kind)
– 8 oz almond milk (original, unsweetend)
– 2 tbsp flaxseeds
– 3 tbsp oats
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
– coffee grinder
1. Freeze the banana overnight.
2. In a coffee grinder, mill the flaxseeds and the oats to a fine powder then add to the blender.
3. Add the frozen banana, and remaining ingredients to the blender.
4. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
5. Pour into a glass, kick your mommy feet up, and enjoy!
*NOTE: It is important to buy whole flaxseeds and mill them when ready. If you buy pre-milled flaxseeds you do not get all the nutritional benefits as you would from milling them fresh. Store flaxseeds in the fridge. It is also important to use almond milk rather than cow’s milk as study show cow’s milk has a negative effect on breast milk. Almond milk has just as much calcium as cow’s milk and is much healthier for you and baby.