Growing up, this was one of my favourite meals as a child. Enjoy a healthier alternative to twice baked potatoes. Disguise veggies and enjoy this super easy and delicious all-in-one meal! Bon Appetite Mamacitas!
TIME: 1 1/2 hours
SERVES: 4 – 6
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
– 4 large potatoes
– 1 cup thin, bite-size carrot strips
– 1 cup thinly sliced red or green sweet pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
– 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
– 1 cup thin, bite-size zucchini strips (you can add or substitute for other veggies)
– 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Scrub and prick potatoes. Bake in 425 degree F oven 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. (Do not wrap in foil.) (*OR if in a rush, microwave until tender– time varies depending on microwave wattage.) Cool 10 minutes or until easy to handle. Cut 1/2-inch slice lengthwise from top of each potato and discard. Scoop out potato pulp, leaving 1/2-inch shell intact.
- In a medium bowl mash the pulp with a fork or potato masher. (Or, place the pulp in a food processor bowl. Cover and process potato until smooth). Set aside.
- For filling, in a medium skillet cook carrot, sweet pepper, and Italian seasoning in hot margarine over medium-high heat until crisp-tender. Add zucchini and cook for 1 minute more or until zucchini is tender. Stir vegetable mixture into mashed potatoes. Fill potato shells with mixture. (At this point the potatoes may be refrigerated for up to 1 day.)
- Place potatoes on baking sheet. Bake in 400 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. (Bake for 25 to 30 minutes if the potatoes were refrigerated.) Sprinkle with cheese; let stand 2 minutes. Makes 4